FALL 2017 BLOG - POST ALL ENTRIES HERE

Forums related to Music 104 (Rock Music History and Appreciation) are in here.
nancydominguez

Re: FALL 2017 BLOG - POST ALL ENTRIES HERE

Post by nancydominguez » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:59 pm

I went out for a friends graduation dinner last night and it was so much fun. They had original arabic music playing. It was so packed , it appeared there was many different christmas parties going on . It was so loud and you heard a lot of people laughing and yelling they were having a blast. There was a belly dancer going around and everytime an arabic song changed she would go to a different person to get them up and dancing. the beat of the music was so fast and sounded like many drums especially.

Dalton_Palencia

Post by Dalton_Palencia » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:11 am

I was looking back what Shane said about bands existing within the same decade. I think it's pretty amazing how multiple popular bands from different sub-genres have changed the game of music industry simultaneously. Led Zeppelin was making hits with their albums, while Pink Floyd was also getting recognition from the mass audience at the same time. In 1977, Queen released News of the World and Fleetwood Mac released their critically acclaimed album, Rumours. During the 60's and 70's, new music was rising to the surface from left and right like Disco, Punk, New Wave, and Reggae. From the 1960's-1990's, I think it was a great time to be a music listener because of the wide variety of music being introduced to the crowds.

Robert Hagerty

Post by Robert Hagerty » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 am

Collin_Shiner wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:10 pm
For some reason I like to sleep with a fan on for backround sound. It's weird sleeping in complete silence and sometimes makes my brain work while I'm trying to rest. My buddies fall asleep to tv but I can't do that. That's too much noise but the fan is a steady calm noise. It distracts all the other noises in the backround I guess.
I'm the same way, the only way I can fall asleep easily is if I have a fan on. I can't stand the dead silence. My girlfriend has to have the tv on, she says hearing people talk in the background helps her sleep. It's weird all the different noises people prefer to help them sleep.

petergrisenti

Post by petergrisenti » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:31 am

Well this will be the last post of the semester. I have really enjoyed this class. As I was saying in my last post music is in our daily lives and it is really cool to know its roots. I have to admit I defiantly feel a little cooler when I am able to educate my peers on the back ground of the music we are listening to. Last night we were at a Christmas party and a lot of new wave and disco was being played. We had a pretty long discussion between the differences and similarities of the two. I talked a lot about how fast music evolved and the roots. I did feel like the cool kid at the table not going to lie. It was a great semester with everyone lets get this final over with and enjoy the break !

amber.germaine

Post by amber.germaine » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:08 am

While studying for the final, I’ve been choosing to listen to some music. I found a station on Spotify that only plays classic rock songs. Songs like “Baba O’Riley” by The Who, “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd, “Angie” by The Rolling Stones, and “All My Love” by LED Zeppelin to name a few. Normally I like there to not be a lot of noise while I study. But I’ve found it to be helpful to listen to the music that the artists I’m studying about sang.

Ryankeefe

Post by Ryankeefe » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:09 am

Interstellar is one of my favorite movies. The score was written by the talented Hans Zimmer. I think he is good at capturing the emotions of a movie into the right notes and sounds. In this movie the songs felt mysterious and sad while also capturing the suspense. If you look up Interstellar main theme on youtube you can hear what I'm talking about. Its a beautiful work.

krystal_stading

Post by krystal_stading » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:32 am

I’m actually going to pretty sad that this class is ending. I feel like there is still so much to go over. We didn’t even have enough time to really hit grunge yet. I wish this class was a few more weeks just so we could at least finish the book. I love the stories and things I’ve learned in this class. It has definitely made me more confident in my music trivia and fun facts. I love hearing a song and being able to know about the artist and what inspired them during that time. Thank you for everything.

shane
Site Admin

Post by shane » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:33 am

Hello All! This is just a reminder that today is the last day for a blog post. I'll will be locking it down at some point in the day. See you later on!

Eli_Lew

Post by Eli_Lew » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:42 am

This will be my last post. I'm short one, but it's okay because I could be lower. This class has taught me a lot in rock music. it was cool to hear how music has evolved from the 1930s to today. I have gained a higher appreciation for bands like Pink Floyd and Rush along with many others. For conclusion I would like to talk about one of my favorite scenes from the Office. It's when Michael sings his goodbye song to Toby and makes a lot of silly moves.Thank you.

ElizabethLopez

Post by ElizabethLopez » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:39 pm

Why is it that every time I have to take a final exam, somebody in the classroom is sick? I hate it so much because the entire time I’m taking the test I can hear them coughing, sneezing, and blowing their nose. It’s unfair to everybody else taking the test because it’s so distracting. I understand you can’t really control when you get sick. However I need absolute silence to take a test because any small noise distracts me especially annoying ones.

GlennDoherty

Post by GlennDoherty » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 pm

I figured my last post should be in regards to the class. I didn't put much thought into choosing this class, I just needed something in this fine arts category so that I could complete my transfer. I'm going to be a history major, and part of the difficulty in that is putting yourself in the mindset of people that came generations before you. Music can be that window, since it never exists in a vacuum. We know exactly where most of this music came from, the who, the when, and the why. That context and the ability to discern genre is something I really value. I think everybody owes it to themselves to discover music that they like, and I felt I needed a framework to contextualize all the songs I've heard but couldn't describe. So thanks, Shane. I hope to spend my time in between schools listening to all kinds of songs, and maybe playing some of them on this keyboard.

GabeZepeda

Post by GabeZepeda » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:50 pm

Today I thought I'd do my blog post on ACDC. So ACDC started in Sydney, Australia in 1973 before they widened in with Atlantic Records. They are known for their hard rock and rock and roll styled music. Over the years the main band members have stuck around being: Angus and Steve Young, Chris Slade, and Axl Rose. Their first album came out in 1975 and it was called High Volatage. In 1977 they came out with their album Highway to Hell. Shortly after their singer Bob Scott died of heavy alcohol consumption. They were thinking disbanding although Scotts' parents convinced them to keep going. A new song Brian Johnson came on as the new singer and the group released Back in Black which became their all time best seller. Their next album For Those About to Rock we Salute You was their first album to reach number 1 on the US charts. ACDC has sold over 200 million records worldwide and 71.5 million in the US. In 2004, the Rolling Stone named ACDC number 4 on the top 100 Best Artists of All Time. As you can see ACDC has stood the test of time and is still widely played throughout the US. They also have had so many achievements as a band and they will likely produce more albums even today.

Collin_Shiner

Post by Collin_Shiner » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:17 pm

Last post is of course going to involve some edm. Overall probably my favorite genera to listen to. Freaks by Timmy trumpet is a good find that has some deep base mixed with a unique trumpet sound. How these songs are created are pretty cool coming from individual sounds then mixing together. I'm going to look into learning how to make my own songs.

Maxwell Smyth

Post by Maxwell Smyth » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:32 pm

I have been listening to Gene Krupa lately and have really been enjoying his music. Gene Krupa was a jazz and big band drummer. The album I have been listening to is called Krupa and Rich. Buddy Rich was the other drummer that played with him on this album. The first song I listened to was called bernies tune. This song is awesome because it is 13 minutes long and the first half of it is a drum solo.

laurenkilger

Post by laurenkilger » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:36 pm

As I’m studying for the final, I realize how much I’ve learned about music from this class. I would’ve thought I was “musically-cultured” before taking the class, but I was unaware of so many styles of music. It really opened my eyes. I’m very happy that I took this class because I know so many more types of music. It was a great experience.

Christian Bank

Post by Christian Bank » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:02 pm

For my last post, I've decided to talk about my favorite song of all time; "Hey Jude", by my favorite music group, The Beatles. This was written by Paul McCartney, for Julian Lennon, during his parents' divorce. It is their longest song, clocking in at 8 minutes, and spent nine weeks at the top of the Billboard Charts. The reason this song is my favorite, is due to the message, which is when you are faced with great sadness, you shouldn't wallow in self pity. You should hold your chin up and make it better. I've said this before, and I'll say it one last time; if you haven't heard it, check it out. You won't regret it.

NathanGee

Post by NathanGee » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:11 pm

I was reading over the book today for the final. I was trying to get everything in my mind because I really want to pass. This is my last blog post and I’ve had fun in this class. I enjoyed it because I love rock music. It was very cool to learn the history behind it.

Joshua_Lopez

Post by Joshua_Lopez » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:21 pm

I can't believe today is already the last day of class. Trying to study for the final has been a challenge. I'm hoping to get an A on the final. I've had a fun time learning in this class. I've learned a lot of things I wouldn't have learned otherwise.

Nick Hessler

Post by Nick Hessler » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:33 pm

I looked up the website showing what samples were in various songs. I found out some fairly interesting things about who Pink Floyd sampled and who sampled them. For instance, in "Sheep" Pink Floyd apparently sampled "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" in some of the lyrics, developing on its biblical allusions. In "One of These Days", they sampled a part of the Dr Who soundtrack, which I found really surprising since I previously didn't know Dr Who was that old. The most surprising thing I found was that an 80s version of Phantom of the Opera used the main riff from Pink Floyd's "Echoes", which was very appropriate for the fearful tone they were going for in the movie adaptation.