FALL 2017 BLOG - POST ALL ENTRIES HERE

Forums related to Music 104 (Rock Music History and Appreciation) are in here.
caitlyn_zayas

Re: FALL 2017 BLOG - POST ALL ENTRIES HERE

Post by caitlyn_zayas » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:20 pm

On my long drive home on the 15 I learned that 95.5 is a pretty bomb station. They played Walk This Way and after switching from listening to Electric Avenue it was a good playlist of songs. Although those two might sound weird together any station that plays older songs are my favorite. I’ve heard the song Ironic pretty often lately. I forget how funny yet fun to sing along to that song is. I learned the station is called The Rock of Southern California. After being in this class I always like hearing songs we’ve talked about and remembering some facts I learned about them that I didn’t know before.

amber.germaine

Post by amber.germaine » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:57 pm

I really enjoy using Spotify as the only music app that I use outside of CD’s that I still listen to on occasion in my car. Today, I got a notification that a new playlist had been created on my Spotify account. Since the new year is approaching, Spotify created a playlist of select songs that I’ve listened to over 2017. It gives me the chance to listen to songs that I may not have listened to in a while. I think this is such a cool function for a streaming app and it’s fun getting to see the wide range of artists I’ve listened to over the least year.

Nicole Nelson

Post by Nicole Nelson » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Was scrolling through my apps today on my phone. I noticed that it had a lot to do with music and sounds. Whether it was apple music or soundcloud, spotify, pandora etc. To other things such as games on my phone with background music. There are so many apps that you can access music with. When pandora first came out it was such a big thing for me because it was a chance for me to really branch out and really listen to different types of music I wasn't familiar with.

laurenkilger

Post by laurenkilger » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 pm

I was in the car with my friend today and he started playing music from the band FUN. I hadn’t heard about them or even thought about them since they had a few hits a couple years ago. Songs like “We are Young” and “Most Nights” were on the top charts for a while. I was never a big fan of them, but the music was somewhat nostalgic. It’s funny how quickly music is very popular and then dissapears.

Collin_Shiner

Post by Collin_Shiner » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:46 pm

6 hour drive up to mammoth meant 6 hours of music. I decided to go the first hour with just silence. It's cool to just gather your thoughts while road tripping. I probably could of gone the entire way with no music and the windows down if it was a little warmer. I mostly played beach music such as tribal seeds and dirty heads to just continue the calm vibes.

Joshua_Lopez

Post by Joshua_Lopez » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:55 pm

The pop music of 80s movies is exemplified in the soundtrack for the movie Top Gun. With an Tom Cruise as a witty fighter pilot, the soundtrack had to have songs like "Danger Zone" and "Playing With The Boys". These songs have an upbeat rock sound to them that is pop sounding. The songs keep the audience's attention throughout the film. The movie overall is pretty good even though it is kinda cheesy.

ArleneWences

Post by ArleneWences » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:13 pm

[ ] Today I overheard my sister playing a song in the morning. I couldn't make out the voice, but I knew I had heard it before. I laid there contemplating various artists. I then asked and was completely wrong. The song was "Cherry Hill" by Russ. It sounds completely different from his "Losing Control" song that's on the radio.

Maxwell Smyth

Post by Maxwell Smyth » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:51 pm

I have been enjoying listening to The Grateful Dead recently. I like the fact that they are a jam band and all that there songs are really long when played live. I have watched a few videos of them live on youtube and it seems like they aren't even sure when they are going to end a song. I always thought that scarlet begonias was a sublime song but was surprised to find out that it is actually the Grateful Dead. One of my all time favorites by them is definitely ripple.

NathanGee

Post by NathanGee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:57 pm

Today I was listening to more Sick puppies songs. I was listening to the song all the same and replayed it over and over again. I’ve never listened to them until now because I didn’t like the band name because I thought it was stupid. I heard their music and I was pretty amazed and disappointed in myself for saying they were bad when they weren’t. I’m beginning to be obsessed with Sick puppies.

krystal_stading

Post by krystal_stading » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:18 pm

So a couple weeks ago I talked about how much I love the sound of rain. Well this week I’m going to talk about how much I hate the wind. I hate the howling and screeching that it makes. Don’t get me wrong, I like small breezes but when it is roaring like it has been I just irritates me. It makes it difficult to sleep and it always sounds like someone is trying to break in. I’d much rather have the rain again. That sound is way more soothing.

jasonkeefe

Post by jasonkeefe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:48 pm

I wonder if there are any similarities in how the best songs are written. If you take the best songwriters in history and ask them how they were inspired to write some of their pieces, I wonder if you would find any parallels. Does it start with melodies, lyrics? Noodling around on an instrument? And where doest the inspiration come from. From an event the writer encountered? Or made up on the spot. The same question could be asked to artists of all mediums.

GabeZepeda

Post by GabeZepeda » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:51 pm

Since I talked about Tupac yesterday I figured I'd talk about Notoriois BIG, other wise known as Chris Wallace, today. So Notorius BIg was born in 1972 the same year as Tupac. He bag his career in 1992 with the Uptown record label in Brooklyn. He is obvious known for his Gansta Rap. He released 1 solo albums before his death and 2 after his death. His most famous being Ready to Die and ironically another album called Life After Death which was released 16 day after his death. Life After Death rose to number 1 on the charts and was one of the few rapper albums to go diamond. Like Tupac also died not too long after Tupac. The story says that he was at a party in LA when the firefighters shut it down due to overcrowding. On the way back to his hotel he rode passenger when they stopped at a red like. A black Chevy Impala pulled up along side his Truck and began to fire. Four 9mm shots hit Biggie in the chest. He was rushed to the hospital but died later on that night. Over 350 mourners attended his funeral. Biggie Small was a big part of my high school year like Tupac. It pumped me up before football games and it was just good music. One of my favorite songs that he does is called, "Juicy." It's a story about where he came from to where is he now. Anyways I'm sad that he isn't still around and I hope there will be more rappers like him that come around.

Ryankeefe

Post by Ryankeefe » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 pm

One bank that I like to listen to is Vulfpeck. They play funk and soul music. They are most known for their songs back pocket and wait for the moment. My person favorites are 1612 and Cory Wong. The four piece band often switch roles throughout the show, playing all the instruments each giving their own flare to their role. It is really fun music check it out!

nancydominguez

Post by nancydominguez » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 pm

For the past couple of days have been super windy. I could hear the wind roaring through the windows and leaves. Last night the winds were so strong it tossed a bunch of things i had in the back in the backyard , it sounded like there was someone in the backyard. Hopefully these Winds go away soon, thankfully I'm still blessed though , other people haven't had the same luck. :( The sound of the wind is horrifying and hopefully we get rainy weather back which we haven't had in years.

justiceburton

Post by justiceburton » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 am

In reality tv shows, music is played often to add effect and set a certain mood. I watched a lot of reality tv this weekend and I can really see why producers add so much background music and sound effects. Without the music, the show wouldn't be as dramatic and way less interesting. Most of the time, people don't even notice the sound effects. They can be very subtle but very essential.

petergrisenti

Post by petergrisenti » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:50 am

I haven’t really been hearing a lot of Christmas music this year. Normally it starts off even before November. I think humanity has taken another step towards evolution. I like Christmas music but only on Christmas!!! Maybe the night before but I think playing it all month takes away from the ambiance when only used Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Nick Hessler

Post by Nick Hessler » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:21 pm

As a porter for a car dealership, I am tasked with starting a good conversation with the customers. One of the topics I choose to talk about when doing this is what their favorite kinds of music are because music is one of the most innately human inventions ever made. I find that I can tell a lot about a person's character based on what they value in music and what styles they like because of how human-oriented music is. This allows me to gain a better connection with people by being able to share a certain taste in music with them or even by getting them to open up in that way in the first place. This class has, in many ways, helped me to realize that fact and has broadened my ability to connect with my customers in this way by making me more aware of various styles of music and their backgrounds, thus I am thankful to have taken this class even just for that benefit.

justiceburton

Post by justiceburton » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:23 pm

I have never really been a huge fan of Christmas or holiday music. The holidays really just aren't for me. I would take Halloween over Christmas any day. Christmas music was always a huge part of the holidays at my house. I was never really a fan of it but I just left it as background music. However this year I have only heard one song so far and honestly I kind of miss it.

Brandonhershfield

Post by Brandonhershfield » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:32 pm

So I was talking about pirates of the carribran ride, and the song what do you do with a drunken sailor cake up. Talked about being in assassins creed black flag. Then listened to it on YouTube. It’s very funny and has interesting lyrics. I’m not quite sure when it was written but if it was the 1800s it’s funny.

Eli_Lew

Post by Eli_Lew » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:39 pm

While I was reading about Pink Floyd, I decided to look up "The Dark Side of the Moon". The album's concept was about Water's feelings of alienation and depression. I like how he utilized the different sounds of objects we hear in life like clocks and money. The way that they transitioned between songs was interesting as well. An observation I made in the song "On the Run" is that I could hear a person running right past me. I also heard a helicopter do the same thing.

michael_hessler735

Post by michael_hessler735 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:46 pm

Well this is my last post here. I really enjoyed this class and I feel like I got a lot out from it. It pushed me to listen to music from all genres and expand my taste in music. Also I'm really glad I went to the Grammy museum, it was a great experience and taught me a lot about the history and significance of the Grammy awards in our society. Reflecting every day on the music and sounds that o heard helped me to think and truly listen to the songs and sounds playing around me. I saw this thing on Spotify that allows you to reflect on the music you played this past year. I played 4,800 minutes of music and 800 different songs which I thought was pretty amazing, but next year I plan on listening to even more music of all types of genres.

Parker_Porter

Post by Parker_Porter » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:58 pm

Radio. I think we are too privileged by the auxiliary cord and stop listening to the radio stations. Well i listen to the radio. It’s pretty neat how so many different artist are played on one station. I think we should put away the phones and start listening to the radio more. Try it!

Jessica Aguilar

Post by Jessica Aguilar » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:17 pm

nancydominguez wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:31 pm
Jessica Aguilar wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:49 pm
I am not sure if I am making this up but I feel like Mexican music is booming. Some artist that are really receiving attention is; Maluma, Luis Fonsi, Ozuna, and others more. Although popular as an on twitter it is shown off more and from there these artists are recognized. Social media is a great attribute in order to spread/share music. In a way, social media always can hurt a song or artist as well. Being attractive or having a great style can benefit the performer for the crowd.
I could not think of any sound I heard today other than the super fast winds so I was scrolling through the posts and I completely agree with Jessica stating about being attractive can benefit a performer. I was actually just thinking about that the other day. I liked the song "felices los cuatro", by Maluma but I didnt really know who he was until after I saw the music video to that song. After watching the video , I thought he was so good looking so I followed him on instagram. He has a couple of good songs but definitely in my opinion I think its his good looks the main reason he is being followed right now. I think if it wasnt for social media he wouldnt have made it out, social media is like the FM radio back then.
I totally understand, that is how I am with most performers and singers, It really helps if they are good looking. People can really hype up how well a person is by their looks. I have been on Snapchat and I went on their news side of the app. I saw this boy-band and once I saw that they looked young or not my taste in looks I skipped the video. For an example a very attractive girl named Madison Beer, founded by Justin Bieber, she really is not that unique as a singer but go on her Instagram and she is a model. A different look that can attract the audience is key.

NathanGee

Post by NathanGee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Today In math class our professor put a video on the screen. The video was a math music video about knowing what the mean, median, and mode was. It was funny and weird because it was a very cheesy song. Somehow the video actually helped me rather than my professor teaching me what it is. In my opinion I think that music helps me learn better.

ElizabethLopez

Post by ElizabethLopez » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:28 pm

Today in my English class we had to watch a movie from 2003 called Whale Rider. The movie focuses on the Moire people in New Zealand and how they have to deal with changing traditions. My favorite part of the movie was easily the music. They did a lot of traditional songs in the Moire language which were used for ceremonies. It was so cool to see how the community was able to sound so harmonious without any training. It was also funny to see how the older generations didn’t really like rap because, for the most part, that seems to be the same in most elders regardless of culture.

jasonkeefe

Post by jasonkeefe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 pm

I really have been liking Eric Clapton's unplugged album. Its a live album that consists of a variety of his songs and covers, and its a really great album. Some of the songs I am drawn to are "before you accuse me" and "running on faith." I love how great his band is, and how it all comes together. I really would like other artists to consider putting out a live album like this one.

Joshua_Lopez

Post by Joshua_Lopez » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:46 pm

As semesters come to a close, I like to listen to music that makes me feel a warm sense of nostalgia. Take the Super Mario Sunshine theme for instance. Every time I hear that theme, I feel an overwhelming sense of happiness from when I used to play the game as child on my GameCube. I listen to songs like these at the end of semesters because even though I feel ready to finally be done with the semester, part of me wants the classes to not end. The people I meet in classes can sometimes be the most fun people to be around and talk to. From making jokes about the course material to just talking about life, spending time with classmates can be a special experience. When that experience suddenly comes to end, it is hard not to feel a slight sense of sadness for I don't always end up spending time with those people outside of school. I know it may seem like a weird thing to feel but sometimes people can leave a lasting impact on you and life may not always give you sufficient time to hang out with everyone that you care about.

Ryankeefe

Post by Ryankeefe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:20 pm

Today I went to the dentist. I told him as I sat down, that I was going to put headphones in so that I wouldn't have to hear the sounds of the drills and other stuff. It made the time go by so much faster. It was the best trip to the dentist I've ever had. I just listened to upbeat music that could drown out all the sounds. It was awkward when he was trying to talk to me and I wasn't responding but it was worth it.

caitlyn_zayas

Post by caitlyn_zayas » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:39 pm

With the San Diego fires building and my house entering the evactuation zone it’s been difficult to focus on the radio. I’ve been listening to the news broadcast and evacuations zone but haven’t paid much attention to much else. I tried putting on some songs to ease my anxiety and ended up putting on G-Eazy. His songs are pretty upbeat and it’s nice to get lost in his lyrics and the story he tells within them. I also listened to one of U2’s new songs. I didn’t know they had been around for so long and that they were Ireland. It’s so nice to see for a chance a band that isn’t lost on drugs or alcohol. The fact that they have all their members and have been around for so long is such a greater accomplishment.

Nicole Nelson

Post by Nicole Nelson » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:49 pm

I was with my grandma today and she has hearing aids and is hard of hearing, as well as my grandpa. I would absolutely hate to be partially deaf or even worse no hearing at all. I had an ear infection all summer from being in the water too much and having that during summer was bugging the crap out of me. I couldn't take not being able to hear that well from a simple conversation. Man I don't want to become an old lady.