FALL 2017 BLOG - POST ALL ENTRIES HERE

Forums related to Music 104 (Rock Music History and Appreciation) are in here.
jasonkeefe

Re: FALL 2017 BLOG - POST ALL ENTRIES HERE

Post by jasonkeefe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:46 pm

I was watching youtube videos on a guitar player named Nick Drake. There is a lot of controversy over the guitar that this player used to record one of his albums. A lot of people assume its the guitar that he is shown playing in his album cover, but evidence proves that the guitar belonged to the photographer. Its interesting to me that there are so many people who have different opinions about the guitar that this person used. When watching a guy named Josh Turner try to replicate his sound, he said that the tone of the strings sounded as though they were very old dead strings. I thought this was interesting. As much as people think they need to have new bright strings, some of the most famous acoustic guitarists get along quite well with used old strings. I am trying to get into Nick Drake's album, Bryter Layter, but I am going to need some more time with it.

amber.germaine

Post by amber.germaine » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:40 pm

I really enjoy listening to Hozier. His album popped up on my Spotify today and it’s an album I love to listen to in its entirety. A few of my favorite songs on it are “From Eden” and “Work Song.” I only found out about his music because of the song “Take Me To Church.” It was in an episode of a show I used to watch called The Leftovers. It’s funny that a random song playing at the end of an episode of a tv show can get someone interested in listening to more music by that particular artist.

Maxwell Smyth

Post by Maxwell Smyth » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:41 pm

I had the chance today to go through a box of some records that my grandparents didn't want anymore . Its pretty interesting to see the type of music that they listened to. for the most part it was some Frank Sinatra albums, but there were a lot of artist I didn't know. I haven't purchased that many records of my own and instead have received most of them from family members. Its cool that vinyl records can be past down like this if kept in good condition.

krystal_stading

Post by krystal_stading » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:49 pm

Today at work a bunch of our machines were beeping at the same time. I cannot stand the sound of constant beeping or ticking. The beeping at work has conditioned me to rush over to the source and immediately end it. I feel like I’m not the only person with the ticking or beeping issue. One time my brother was so annoyed with the ticking of a clock in the middle of the night, he threw it across the room.

Collin_Shiner

Post by Collin_Shiner » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:10 pm

For some reason I like to sleep with a fan on for backround sound. It's weird sleeping in complete silence and sometimes makes my brain work while I'm trying to rest. My buddies fall asleep to tv but I can't do that. That's too much noise but the fan is a steady calm noise. It distracts all the other noises in the backround I guess.

Robert Hagerty

Post by Robert Hagerty » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:19 pm

I started watching Stranger Things on Netflix today. I haven't heard anything about it but that's it's just really good and popular right now. After watching the first few episodes I have to say my favorite part is the music. They play a lot of 80's techno in it, and it really fits in well with the show.

ArleneWences

Post by ArleneWences » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:25 pm

Today I attended Almost Acoustic Christmas at The Forum in Los Angeles. My childhood dream of seeing Rise Against was fulfilled. I sung along to every single song, word-for-word. I was almost in tears. They played Savior, one of my favorites. I lost my voice completely, but it was worth it.

NathanGee

Post by NathanGee » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:40 pm

Today I was listening to the band Three days Grace. It was technically my first time listening to them. I’ve heard they were very popular but I never got a chance to listen to any of their songs. They sound really good I’m kind of upset that I couldn’t listen to them sooner. Now I’m hooked on them and gonna listen to all of their songs.

GabeZepeda

Post by GabeZepeda » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:44 pm

Today I'm gonna talk about Michael Jackson and his huge impact on the music industry. So Michael Jackson started his career with the Jackson 5 in 1964 with The Motown record label. They've revived a few times since then. After the Jackson 5 Michael went on to his solo career. He worked with Motown records to form 10 albums. The biggest one being Thriller is the most sold record album in history. It went 33x platinum selling 33 million albums worldwide. He is credited with having the first album have 5 number one hits on a single album, that album being Bad. He has sold 350 million records worldwide. He's had 13 number one singles. Michael has won 13 Grammy awards and a number of other awards more than any other artist ever. He is nicknamed the King of Pop. In 1985 he and other big artists created a song called We are the World. It sold more than 22 million copies raising over 63 million worldwide, estimated 138 million in today's worth. In 2009 right before the start of his new tour, Michael Jackson died of overdose. His personal doctor was adminstraiting an array of mecine. A Los Angeles coroner decided it was a homicide. I loved Michael Jackson's music he was an amazing artist and dancer. I wish he could still be alive today to continue his career.

Jessica Aguilar

Post by Jessica Aguilar » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:46 pm

Tonight at work all they play is Spanish music. I really do not mind it, maybe because I am too busy to even recognize what song is playing. I can not image to be stuck at work and listening to songs that you do not understand. A lot of co-workers are tired and dislike the music, but maybe because I'm a couple weeks in but I do not feel the same. I feel like Spanish-culture music is fun and can be up-beat enough to be motivated to work faster. Since I understand Spanish whenever I hear a song I know makes that moment a bit more positive.

Nicole Nelson

Post by Nicole Nelson » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:05 am

Well, this morning has been quite hectic already. Sunday early early morning (12:00am early) and I had to tern in a term paper and for the longest time tonight, I couldn't get any of my submissions to send and I thought abut something after everything finally got turned in. I had my computer playing a movie in the backround and it kept throwing me off trying to concentrate. When I turned it off all I heard was my grandmas tv on full blast because she basically almost deaf. So moral of the story is well, I can't focus with music or sound in the backround sometimes.

caitlyn_zayas

Post by caitlyn_zayas » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:07 am

When it comes to Christmas time I wonder how there are people that actually enjoy carolers. I don’t know if I don’t like them because they sing Christmas music or because choirs aren’t my thing. To be honest I think I’ve onlt seen people singing live once and it was at Disneyland but I can’t remember for sure. I wonder how adults ends up with singing from door to door. I feel like kids do it because their parents make them but adults aren’t being pushed by anyone. I think the outfits are another reason I would be against having to do it. They look so old fashioned and uncomfortable to be in for awhile.

Christian Bank

Post by Christian Bank » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:14 am

My favorite Christmas song is "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)", by John Lennon. Not just because it sounds amazing, but the message is fantastic. It is one of peace, and how war can end if we allow it. This was also used as a Vietnam War protest song, though most associate it with the holidays. Jimmy Buffet also covered this song, and really well, in my opinion.

ArleneWences

Post by ArleneWences » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 am

Watching Thirty Seconds to Mars perform last night was stunning. Jared Leto came out with such energy and joy. You could tell he's passionate about singing and appreciates his fans. He left the stage and sang amongst his fans on the floor. Hearing just him and his guitar sing along to The Kill was absolutely breathtaking. The only acoustic song really at Almost Acoustic Christmas.

Joshua_Lopez

Post by Joshua_Lopez » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Motorhead has been one of my favorite bands since my childhood. Their first song I heard was "The Game" when the wrestler Triple H started using it as intro theme song in the early 2000s. It's such an iconic song to go with a badass attitude wrestler. Triple H was always causing trouble on WWE back when WWE was still interesting to watch and was more geared towards adults. His theme song will forever be one of my favorite songs to listen to.

GlennDoherty

Post by GlennDoherty » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:40 pm

I was driving my sister to a concert yesterday. She played her music in the car, and "I Will Follow You into the Dark" by Death Cab for Cutie came on. I haven't heard this song since she used to drive me to school many years ago. I remember I used to not like it, because the lyrics sort of romanticize death. This makes me flinch because I've had friends that came very close to committing suicide. And the idea of looking forward to the afterlife generally comes at odds with my catholic-turned atheist religious background. My sister still finds the song pretty, but I just find it depressing.

michael_hessler735

Post by michael_hessler735 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:23 pm

This isn't a post, but does anyone know if we needed to know everything from chapters 20 and 21 for the final tomorrow? Thanks.

FROM SHANE: Just through Chapter 19 :mrgreen:

Eli_Lew

Post by Eli_Lew » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:12 pm

I prefer old school rap over the modern rap that we hear today. When I hear modern rap, most of it sounds the same. The reason why I don't like the rap we hear today is because almost every line is explicit. I don't mind a few explicit lines, but when there's a lot it ruins the song. Another aspect I don't like about modern rap is the way that some rappers alter their voice. For me the voice breaks or makes the song.

Jessica Aguilar

Post by Jessica Aguilar » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:50 pm

Today my family celebrated my brothers 23rd with food. I was at work when it started but once I got home music filled the whole house and made the get together with family and friends more live. I feel like music can bring people together. All it takes a common similar interest to make people join. I think an artist or even public figures have rights in stating a problem or any government crisis that is occurring around. Why not use their platform for a good use, of course using their fame for negative use is not always a good thing.

Parker_Porter

Post by Parker_Porter » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:58 pm

Collin_Shiner wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:10 pm
For some reason I like to sleep with a fan on for backround sound. It's weird sleeping in complete silence and sometimes makes my brain work while I'm trying to rest. My buddies fall asleep to tv but I can't do that. That's too much noise but the fan is a steady calm noise. It distracts all the other noises in the backround I guess.
Very interesting to say the least. See as I, Parker Porter, different from everybody else, prefers to fall asleep to complete utterly silence, most others like a little noise. Sometimes i like silence in the mid day like in my truck. Music or noises are nice but silence really makes me calm and just relax. I like to sleep in such silence i can hear my heart beat but that’s hard when my 1940 air conditioning clicks on and sounds like a Boeing 777 flying over my roof.

ElizabethLopez

Post by ElizabethLopez » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:58 pm

My sister has the most annoying habit of never listening to a song completely. She starts listening to a song she likes and hallway through she says she’s done with it. It sucks when she’s playing music I like out loud and somehow she always changes the song before my favorite part. I don’t understand how she doesn’t drive herself insane. I feel like she probably only knows halt he lyrics to all the songs she likes.

NathanGee

Post by NathanGee » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:11 pm

Today all I listened to was lots and lots of Christian music. Since we have Finals tomorrow I have been listening to Christian music because it makes me feel better and it calms me down. I was stressing out about the finals but I listened to the music and I studied a lot. I’m glad that christian music is capable of doing that for me. I heard this music both at church and on my phone after.

justiceburton

Post by justiceburton » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:22 pm

I am not the biggest fan of pop music concerts. I have been to a few, the most recent one I went to was about 5 years ago when I went to see Lady Gaga. The thing that I hate the most about these concerts is the assigned seats. The assigned seats make it hard to feel like you are a part of the concert unless you were lucky enough to have front row seats. Smaller shows with just the open area is much better because that way you can stand where ever you want and feel closer to the band.

Maxwell Smyth

Post by Maxwell Smyth » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:54 pm

I was listening to music on spotify today and found out that it puts together a playlist of songs that you listened to most throughout 2017. I think it is pretty cool that spotify is able to do this based on how many plays the songs get. It was interesting to see all the songs that I listened to most throughout this year. Also I am linked to my brothers account so I get to see the music that he played the most. We like most of the same music so I am happy to have this playlist saved.

krystal_stading

Post by krystal_stading » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:30 pm

Tonight was my work Christmas party and we had a lot of karaoke. We sang all night and it’s crazy how much music is actually in your brain. So many lyrics and songs are just stored there for the right moment. Like all most everyone at the party tonight knew the lyrics to “Don’t Stop Believing”. You even remember songs you don’t like. I have way too many Taylor Swift lyrics in my head and I hate it!

petergrisenti

Post by petergrisenti » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:35 pm

I am at a Christmas party and they are playing new wave and disco. It is a lot of fun and a lot of people are dancing. There is four in the floor in almost every song. I think new wave is a lot like typical dance music. It is cool to be able to identify the right genre now. I’m going to save a lot of this topic for my last post tomorrow. I’m very happy with the knowledge I learned this year. Music is a huge part of our lives and it is awesome to know the history. That is all I’ll say tonight about the topic.

amber.germaine

Post by amber.germaine » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:01 pm

I really enjoyed learning more about Prince the other night. I grew up listening to him because my parents played him a lot. Songs like “When Doves Cry” and “Purple Rain” are some of my favorite by him. He was such an interesting artist to listen to and musically so incredibly talented. I found this YouTube video of him playing the song “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” with Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, and Jeff Lynne back in 2011. It was such a cool video to watch and really showed what an entertainer he was.

jasonkeefe

Post by jasonkeefe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:31 pm

Today marks my 70th blog post. It's interesting how the end to something always brings a sad feeling. It's the end of the blog posts, and it makes me kind of sad. I really have learned a lot in this class. I seem to always be mentioning new information when talking with people about music or history. As much of a chore that these blog posts seemed at around 30, I really began to appreciate them. they gave me a little time out of my day to reflect. Maybe I will regularly start writing down my thoughts somewhere. Goodbye shanecadman.com/forum/

Ryankeefe

Post by Ryankeefe » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:42 pm

I love the sound of cars. And I'm talking about cars with real powerful engines that roar as they accelerate. You can tell by the sound of a car how much care someone has put into it. When you hear squeaky brakes or fan belts you know that they don't care about it too much. But a beautiful sounding motor speaks for itself. That is something that I always notice and think about. One day I will build my own car and it's gonna sound so good.

GabeZepeda

Post by GabeZepeda » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:55 pm

Today I'm gonna talk about Neil Diamond and his successes in his career. So Neil Diamond started in 1962 for Bang records. He is known for his pop, folk, and rock sound. He has created 32 solo albums in his career and has had 37 number 1 hits! He has sold more than 130 million records worldwide. He is the second most successful artist in the history of the Billboard Adult Contemporary Top 10 charts. Neil was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1984 and into the the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2011. He is also known for writing the hit performed by the Monkees "I'm a Believer." There's a lot of songs I never knew Neil Diamond wrote. I'm sure there are plenty more out there that I'm unaware of.