Inspiring Quotes

This forum contains links and/or articles related to the business of making music.
shane
Site Admin

Inspiring Quotes

Post by shane » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:59 am

As was sitting here, reading "The Way I See It #78" on my Starbuck's cup, I thought it might be cool to start a thread with inspiring quotes that would pertain to song writing. If you find any, post them below. I'll start . . .

shane
Site Admin

The Way I See It #78

Post by shane » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:04 am

"My inspiration for writing comes from the mundane details of my day. I hear a song in the hum of the New York subway, in the drops of rain on the city street, in the buzz of overheard conversations in a crowded park. The aim of my songwriting is to translate these ordinary, everyday moments into something transcendental and universally inspiring."

-- John Legend --

shane
Site Admin

Post by shane » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:50 am

OK, so this one isn't really inspiring, but definitely worth pondering . . .

"By the end of the 20th century it seemed to me that the muse had gone out of music and all that was left was the 'ic.' Nothing sounded genuine or original. Truth and beauty were passe. Shock was the reigning value and schlock was rating raves in Rolling Stone. I heard one record boss on the radio announcing matter-of-factly, 'We are no longer looking for talent. We're looking for a "look" and a willingness to cooperate!' Another executive told me, as a prelude to rejecting my last album, 'We're just selling cars now. We've got fast cars and cute cars...' I got the picture. I quit the business.

-- Joni Mitchell --

nickgniadek

Re: Inspiring Quotes

Post by nickgniadek » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:43 pm

i thought this would pertain to the meaning of song writing as in having the courage to to tell the world what you are feeling. songwriting from what i have experienced so far takes a lot of courage in showing strangers basically your thoughts and what your feeling throughout your song, in which its best to just be open. If that person is interested in connecting with your music then they will like it no matter what.

"I think people who truly can live a life in music are telling the world, 'You can have my love, you can have my smiles. Forget the bad parts, you don't need them. Just take the music, the goodness, because it's the very best, and it's the part I give most willingly'"

-George Harrison

JacobLee

Re: Inspiring Quotes

Post by JacobLee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:37 pm

“The musician who always plays on the same string is laughed at
-horace silver
I remember reading this quote long ago and at the time that I heard it, i was really able to relate. Alot of instruments I tried learning throughout my life I never really mastered any one and when I got into making beats, I would notice that all my beats sounded kinda similar to each other. Now, when I sample different types of music to make my own hiphop versions of I try to take a step back and really attempt to add an interesting flavor where its unique. Sometimes it ends up really obsecure and wierd but sometimes those are the ones that are most felt by my peers. Also at times, when I really try to tweak drums and sequence a pattern that does not sound natural are the ones that Im most proud of.