Okay... You got me, Mr. Cadman

This forum is for former or current students who find themselves too addicted to posting to stop (you Music 102 students know who you are) or need yet one more place on the web to post their thoughts and observations or just want to keep in contact with me or other students. I think that covers everybody. Have fun!
Mike Morgan

Okay... You got me, Mr. Cadman

Post by Mike Morgan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:40 pm

So, it's been over a year since I've taken your class (FYI, best college class ever. And, no, I'm not brown-nosing, I already got an "A" in your class). I've always been into the blues, jazz, and big band. I love "Southern" rock (probably because I'm from Georgia and genetically we must put "Southern" in front of everything), classic rock, contemporary... basically anything you can "feel." I love Norah Jones, Joe Bonamassa, and Kenny Chesney. In your class, I wrote in a blog that I was going to put down my guitar for good because I saw a performance by Joe Bonamassa. I'm sure you'll be happy to know that I haven't put down my guitars, bass, or drumsticks for good, yet I've relegated myself to only playing show tunes from our favorite "Saved by the Bell," "Wonder Years," and "anything we saw that we thought was cool in the 90s updates from Kurt Loder on "MTV News.'" Growing up in backwoods Georgia (side note; the town I grew up in was the same town they filmed the first five episodes of "Dukes of Hazzard" in), we were constantly inundated with ACDC and Reba McIntyre. While they both have their, um, uniqueness, I never got into it. ACDC was a little too much for me, and Reba was a little overplayed. I remember the first time I saw the movie "Memphis Belle." Towards the beginning of the movie, a character named Clay sang "Danny Boy" to one of his compadres. Because of that song, I had to get the soundtrack. I found out who sang that song and immediately bought the first album of his that I could find. The very first words of my very first album that I bought with my own money went "I live in a tiny closet, a luke warm cold water flat." Because of that singer, and that album, and that genre, I got my ass kicked. A Lot! Clearly I jest, but to this day, Harry Connick Jr. is still my favorite singer of all time. Because of him, i got into Johnny Mercer, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc. I LOVE music. I've written and recorded my own stuff. I always see the influences from that genre. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers Band, and Eagles. But, for some reason, Jazz, the Blues, the Mississippi Delta stuff, "speaks" to me. So, in short, thank you. You got me.

shane
Site Admin

Re: Okay... You got me, Mr. Cadman

Post by shane » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:46 pm

Glad to hear! And you're proof of what I'm trying to do. I'm not trying to change anybody's musical tastes. I'm just hoping to add to them. Keep it up!